Today I made some biscuits that were incredibly quick and easy. Viennese biscuits don’t contain egg, just icing sugar, butter, flour and baking powder. I needed to make biscuits for my kids as we had (unbelievably) run out of snacks for them. These simple biscuits – complete with rainbow colouring were ready within 35 minutes!
There’s a great tutorial on making rainbow frosting here. Since Viennese biscuits are also piped the method is exactly the same.
Rainbow Viennese Biscuits
Write a review
- 200g Unsalted butter (softened)
- 50g Icing sugar
- 200g Plain flour
- half teaspoon Baking powder
- Gel food colours - red, yellow, green, blue, purple
- You also need a piping bag and large star nozzle
- Preheat your oven to 170c fan, (190c conventional)
- Cream the softened butter and sugar together.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together.
- Stir the flour into the buttercream until well combined.
- Place the star nozzle in the piping bag.
- Paint lines of gel colour on the inside of the piping bag.
- Place the biscuit dough in the piping bag and pipe lines, swirls or "S" shapes onto greased baking trays.
- Bake for 10 minutes until just turning golden.
- Remove and place on wire racks to cool.
- These biscuits are very fragile, handle carefully.
- Traditionally they are dipped in melted chocolate.
Modern Family Baking http://modernfamilybaking.com/